J Corbyn best speech yet

Political Debate
Sid
Legend

2 years ago

Fair points.

Don't you think this shit should have been sorted ages ago though? Scientists and docs have been warning about antibacterial resistance for years and it seems fuck all has been done about it. The big pharmas are more concerned about profit than helping people. But they should have been working on a new solution. Some people can't wait 15 years, especially if you have super gonnorhea and there's yellow puss seeping out your knob
pint vulger
Legend

2 years ago

Very interesting ,Corbyn continues to say control on Pharm pricing has to be considered and agreed , the government are willing to take on the doctors,nurses ,and transport staff ,as they did with the miners,its outrageous.
Attend any protest march and at the head are the old / pensioners ( us ) disabled,teachers,policeman,nurses ,doctors,emergency crews students,parents with kids .
What does that tell you about the incumbent government .
redzebs
Legend

2 years ago

It's all about £ and $, half the problem in the UK is yes you have a free NHS service but NICE decides what money gets spent and what drugs are prescribed for what.

For example Lyrica (still has to be called Lyrica and bought from Pfsizer which links in to what FUB says, in the States) because of its patent that expires in 2018, can be called Preglabin and made by any pharma company in the UK is prescribed for anxiety in the states. Not to go off on a tangent here, but I get so wound up over here because I worked in a pharmacy and worked with health stuff in work since I was 18, so I know my shit inside out.

Now when I go to my GP next and suggest trying a small dose of lyrica instead of benzodiazepines which NICE have cut out for some legitimate reasons but a lot is cost, my GP will look at me like I've two heads of like I'm a junkie for thinking outside the box.

I've been on an urgent waiting list for a year for ulcerative colitis that might need an op and when I went to my GP he got a book out, looked two things up and I said it's Buscopan and Omeprozole you're looking at isn't it? He was shocked, irritated and embarrassed that e needed a fuckin book for the two most common stomach meds that are prescribed and was like how do you know that almost angrily. Another quick example, da collapses on Christmas eve, an hour later ambulance arrives, das a typical working class big man, as in stocky, he was screaming like a banshee and the paramedic goes I think you've just bruised your hip, I said mate, no disrespect, I'm a fuckin balloon and I know by looking at it and by knowing the man who raised me my whole life, he's fucked. There's no way that's a bruise. So another ambulance is called, so four paramedics and they asked me as well to help lift him onto a trolley because of the angle he was at, as soon as we moved him.....massive CRACK. Yip there's the femur broke, aye it's only a bruise. I said fuck sake give him some oxycodone or something ffs, oh no we aren't allowed tgat, we'll give him some morphine based stuff......morphine based stuff? I checked it, just morphine on an iv that's fair enough. Then two of them go, yeah oxy is just another morphine based thing. No it's fuckin not!!! Do they not teach you the fuckin opiate chart in whatever qualification you need???

So he's alergic to codeine but can cope with stronger opiates ok for some reason, what do they discharge him with? Dihydrocodeine. You couldn't make it fuckin up.

Sorry to get off point but the fact the NHS boots on the ground are so understaffed that they haven't a fuckin scooby about what they are on about and that scares the shit out of me.

A psychiatrist once asked me how long I had been on this crazy dose of Effexor for, i.e., they don't even make a dose that strong, you have to take the max dose plus more, I said 5 months, she said, you are supposed to be on that a month max because you've already built up a tolerance to the drug itself so you are pushing the boat out for a very short time to see if it will help. GP never even told me, the side effects were so bad I thought I was going to die. That's why private genuine charities who do provide staff to give advice and help patients and do research to try and find cures despite the pharma companies and governments get my vote.

Yeah Sid, Docs without borders, hospice and a local children's charity here would be most supported by me.

Cheers Laz, it's not just getting off my hole, it's getting punched in the face in front of 400 people that I'm bricking it over :-)
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
redzebs
Legend

2 years ago

Oh yeah this is s Corbyn thread, was thinking earlier, you know the way Jose was a scruffy cunt who never smiled then he had a shave and we are unbeaten in 16? Maybe if Corbyn got the Gillette Fusion out, Labour would win the next election :-)
FuB
Legend

2 years ago

@Pint - The issue with considering and agreeing pharmaceutical pricing is that Big Pharma can quite happily just say "well, fuck you then... we've got millions of other rich countries we can keep our cartel working in. The don't moderate their pricing for the few drugs they do develop for the developing world so quite what bargaining card Corbyn might think he has, I'm not sure.

@Sid - well, let's not forget that finding/designing and developing a drug of any type is pretty complicated and knowledge of a target biology (be it human or bacteria) is still quite hazy even though our knowledge is vastly more superior to what it was even, say, 20 years ago. It's not fair to just say "oh well, those boffins should just be thinking harder" when the subject matter is so unbelievably vast and complex.

We've already agreed that Big Pharma is much more keen to target a market that can and will pay the most. That's why they'll churn out happy pills but anti-malarials are way down the list. To that end, i think you'd have to agree that antibiotics fall into the top half of the list so they WILL be and have been working on them. They actually release new ones quite regularly but, because life is so diverse, it's simply not possible to find a single antibiotic that will work against all bacteria. even penicillin from the very beginning is only effective against some.

there's also the problem that so many promising candidate drugs fail somewhere along the path from discovery to market. that said, it's easy enough to find chemicals that will kill all bacteria. take bleach, for example. they're right when they say domestos kills all known germs... but that doesn't mean sticking your cock in a bucket of bleach for a few hours is the way out of jail.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
redzebs
Legend

2 years ago

I always wanted to know what the 0.1% it can't kill is, you know the way everything says it kills 99.9% of germs.
Sid
Legend

2 years ago

It'll be something brutal that could wipe out thr entire race
pint vulger
Legend

2 years ago

With respect Fub you seem very knowledgable on the subject ,but at risk ( never bothered me) surely ( asking) the NHS is a huge customer in the grand scheme of things, in my mind surely they have some bargaining powers,fairly pointless spending a fortune on R and D if the customer base wont pay the price.
Plus in my world ( and Jeremy's i hope) the government will not be in bed with the private comp.
I do have a little knowledge on the Pharms in as much as two of my family are employed in the business the money / turnover is mouthwatering ,just on the corperate side.I have to be very careful when slagging them off.
Your seperate conversation with Sid just highlights the situation and the need for a Cirbyn to force the issue,it wont happen if your one of the clan making a butty out of it.
redzebs
Legend

2 years ago

I just buy my shit privately now, the way I look at it, the money I'm saving on boozing and partying, if I have to take a drug that GPs are programmed like robots to frown upon then fuck em, I'd rather spend my money on healthy food and some protein and shit for my stomach and a Xanax and the local GPs can shove their little book.

I had lichen planis (spelling) once, it's like if you imagine little barnacles inside your gums, I'd researched online like fuck and was pretty sure that's what it was, went to see GP, he wasn't as sure as I was, i.e. he hadn't a clue so, and I shit you not, he got onto google images and searched for shit that might look like it, turns out I was right, he gave me an inhaler which did fuck all so I bought steroid cream online and it was gone in a week.

So it's not just the drugs, it's the staff too.

Ever been in hospital recently? Hard to take a Doctor seriously when she's 30 and wearing a short skirt, a stripey top and a pair of UGGs,

I want some cunt in his 50s with a white coat and a stethoscope around his neck.

There was an apartment near me that two Docs rented, they were on the Coke and mdma every weekend, was a proper after party place, they'd give you a drip in the morning to get rid of your hangover. One day this boy was sparked out for hours on the floor, everyone just let him sleep and walked around him. Turns out he was dead, peelers called, ambulance, the works, Docs never even got in bother even though every witness was lit to the bit.
FuB
Legend

2 years ago

pint vulger wrote:With respect Fub you seem very knowledgable on the subject ,but at risk ( never bothered me) surely ( asking) the NHS is a huge customer in the grand scheme of things, in my mind surely they have some bargaining powers,fairly pointless spending a fortune on R and D if the customer base wont pay the price.
Plus in my world ( and Jeremy's i hope) the government will not be in bed with the private comp.
I do have a little knowledge on the Pharms in as much as two of my family are employed in the business the money / turnover is mouthwatering ,just on the corperate side.I have to be very careful when slagging them off.
Your seperate conversation with Sid just highlights the situation and the need for a Cirbyn to force the issue,it wont happen if your one of the clan making a butty out of it.
Obviously economic factors such as losing a large customer can put pressure on a drug company but I don't think Corbyn or anyone can really use that as too much of a bargaining chip. In the end, in the case of a drug that is still under patent, the manufacturer can dictate the price pretty easily... the customer either gets it from them or doesn't get it.

In the example of Kadcyla that Alf linked to, that wasn't the end of the story. Roche eventually dropped the price but by how much is unknown since the terms of the deal remain private. In the end, Roche will definitely want to claw as much cash out of the customer as they can because Kadcyla only showed a mean extended survival rate of about 5 months per patient. That's not a lot of months to get their (initially) 5 grand a month per patient in. Subsequent trials have shown that it probably doesn't even give the patient an extra 5 months either. You don't really need too many examples to see how Big Pharma is entirely content to cook the evidence to make a few bucks (well, not a few at all) out of desperate people.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit